The Office of the Provost offers $20,000 per year to support dissemination of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. The funds are managed and adjudicated by the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) and the Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISoTL).
Any full-time faculty member at UBC Vancouver can apply for the award, which can be used for dissemination expenses such as:
- APC’s (article processing charges) or other fees related to publishing one’s scholarly work open access (up to $2,000).
- Conference registration and travel costs (up to $1,000).
A faculty member can only be award this grant once in a two-year period.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate they have no other funding sources to enable them to meet dissemination costs.
The following criteria will be used to adjudicate this competitive award:
- If applying to cover the cost of open access publication in a journal, the journal must be peer reviewed, have a DOI, an impact factor, be indexed in major databases, or have a similar metric used in that particular discipline.
- If applying for travel/conference registration costs, the conference must be organized by a nationally or internationally recognized scholarly organization. Proposals for the conference or meeting must be peer reviewed.
- Open Access
- Preference will be given to articles or chapters published in journals or monographs that provide free access to readers for all of their articles (i.e. a fully open access journal or monograph), as listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals.
- The adjudication process will seek to balance accepted proposals in terms of their disciplines.
Process and Follow Up
Applications are reviewed twice a year. Adjudication for this pilot grant will occur through the SoTL Seed program process already in place at CTLT.
Grantees who have received support through the grant are required to also contribute their work to the UBC Library’s open access repository, cIRcle.
All grantees are required to contribute to building capacity for the SoTL or educational research in their discipline at UBC. How this is done will vary but may include, for example, co-facilitating SoTL workshops or mentoring a colleague to develop their own SoTL expertise.
Please note that the survey opens on Thursday, March 28, 2019.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .