The Office of the Provost and VP Academic offers $20,000 per year to support dissemination of Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL). Funds are managed and adjudicated by the Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISoTL).
The fund supports publications that describe research on teaching and learning in higher education with direct implications for UBC.
Grant holders are expected to contribute to SoTL activities at UBC in order to build capacity in the field. These contributions may include hosting a professional development workshop, participating as a panelist in an ISoTL event, hosting a lunch-and-learn, etc.
Any full-time faculty member at UBC Vancouver can apply for the award, which can be used for the following dissemination expenses:
- Conference registration and travel costs (up to $1,000).
- Article Processing Charges (APC) or other fees related to publishing open access (up to $2,000).
A faculty member can only be awarded the grant once every 24 months. Co-applicants are encouraged, but please note that funding is per project, not per person. Please note that co-applicants must also be faculty members at UBC Vancouver, and that applicants cannot apply on behalf of others (graduate students, sessional instructors, etc.).
*Please note that if your application is successful, all receipts must be submitted within two months from the time of conference or time of journal article acceptance to be considered eligible for funding.
The following criteria will be used to adjudicate this competitive award:
- All applications must demonstrate a direct link to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL). Successful applications will have explicit implications for pedagogy and student learning in higher education (at UBC). For more information about SoTL, please visit: https://isotl.ctlt.ubc.ca/about/sotl/
- Must be an accepted (or “minor revisions”) journal article or conference submission at a venue where the focus is on teaching and learning in higher education. Please note that “submitted” and/or “under review” submissions will not be considered.
- If applying to cover the cost of open access publication in a journal, the journal must be peer reviewed, have a DOI, an impact factor, be indexed in major databases, or have a similar metric used in that particular discipline.
- If applying for travel/conference registration costs, the conference must be organized by a nationally or internationally recognized scholarly organization. The accepted conference submission must be peer reviewed.
- For conference presentations involving multiple authors, only one award of up to $1000 will be granted.
- Preference will be given to articles or chapters published in journals or monographs that provide free access to readers for all of their articles (i.e. a fully open access journal or monograph), as listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact us at email@example.com .