Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISoTL)
ISoTL was established by Senate in May 2004, in order to support research, inquiry and reflection on teaching and learning at the University of British Columbia. In the context of UBC’s strategic plan and the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT), new structures have enabled a re-focusing and strengthening of the Institute’s mandate.
Since its inception, the aim of the Institute has evolved in order to deepen the engagement of faculty members and experts in educational research from across campus in evidence-based initiatives.
The following objectives have guided specific ISoTL initiatives and programs:
- To support faculty members in engaging in reflective practices and pedagogical research in the disciplines.
- To promote the dissemination of curriculum and pedagogical research in ways that inform and enhance educational practice within and across the disciplines at UBC and beyond.
- To provide international leadership and collaborations for SoTL research.
- To provide training and professional development opportunities for faculty members who seek to engage in SoTL.
- To promote a culture of teaching as a scholarly activity.
We would like to express our sincere gratitude and enormous thanks to Dr. Gary Poole for his outstanding leadership (as founding Director) and scholarly contributions to the Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.