The Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning develops events and workshops to meet the various teaching and learning needs of the UBC community. The page includes event details and relevant documents from past sessions that we have hosted.
ePoster Session: Showcase your SoTL Work (December, 2020)
- This lightning round of UBC SoTL e-posters provided an opportunity to engage with an online community of colleagues about their SoTL project experiences.
Evaluating Open Education Resource (OER) Fund Projects (December, 2020)
- This workshop was designed for projects supported by UBC’s Open Education Resources Fund. This workshop offered guidance in developing an evaluation framework, and provided an overview of commonly used data collection methods (e.g., surveys, focus groups and interviews). Slides can be downloaded by clicking here.
Getting your SoTL Work Published (November, 2020)
- In this session we shared guiding principles for writing and navigating the process of submitting a manuscript for publication in journals.
Classroom Evaluation and Research: Do I Need Ethics Approval? (September, 2020)
- Participants were taken through the process of obtaining BREB approval, and key information needed to include in applications. This workshop also detailed the ethical considerations for conducting research and evaluation in the classroom.
Project Evaluation Workshop: Work Integrated Learning Ministry of Advanced Education Projects (July and September, 2020)
- This workshop was designed for projects supported by the Ministry of Advanced Education funding, however is relevant for those looking to evaluate work-integrated learning programs or endeavors. This workshop offered a useful evaluation framework, and provided an overview of commonly used data collection methods (e.g., surveys, focus groups and interviews).
Inclusive Survey Design (December, 2019)
- While surveys are one of the most commonly used data collection methods, designing effective surveys that elicit useful and insightful data can be challenging. The goal of this workshop was to help participants gain a better understanding of designing effective surveys that elicit useful and insightful data.
Evaluating the Impact of Experiential Learning (May, 2019)
- This workshop offered guidance on developing a focused and manageable evaluation plan for EL projects/courses.
The Scholarship of Feedback (April, 2019)
- In this session, participants were guided on how to identify opportunities to evaluate feedback-giving practices and provided common strategies to evaluate student perceptions, engagement with feedback, and impact on learning.
This annual event hosted by ISoTL and the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) invites SoTL practitioners, new faculty and students across UBC the opportunity to engage in dialogue around teaching and learning and to advance SoTL work. Typically Celebrate SoTL involves a keynote speaker, at least one interactive workshop and a poster session.
1st annual Celebrate SoTL (November 6, 2018)
2nd annual Celebrate SoTL (October 23, 2019)
3rd annual Celebrate SoTL (October 22-23, 2020)