The Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning develops events and workshops to meet the various teaching and learning needs of the UBC community. The page includes event details and relevant documents from past sessions that we have hosted. Because we often repeat sessions, only the newest iteration of a workshop will be posted.
Best Practices in Survey Design (November 21, 2022)
While surveys are one of the most commonly used data collection methods, designing effective surveys that elicit useful and insightful data can be challenging. In this workshop, we will discuss the importance of evaluation for assessing the outcomes of a particular project, as well as when to use surveys as an evaluation tool. A PDF of the slides is available.
Classroom Evaluation and Research: Do I Need Ethics Approval? (October 4, 2022)
Join this session to learn more about what type of classroom inquiry might require BREB review, and what work can be done without ethics review. This workshop will also detail the ethical considerations for conducting research and evaluation in the classroom. A PDF of the slides is available.
Best Practices in Focus Groups and Interviews (September 21, 2022)
This session discussed when to use focus groups or interviews as evaluation methods and shared best practices for how to integrate them into your SoTL projects. Tips for planning, administrating and analyzing focus groups and interviews were shared. A PDF of the slides is available.
Data Visualization for SoTL: Tips and Tricks (July 5, 2022)
- This session provided examples of easy ways to improve visualizations of teaching and learning project outcomes, and discuss why some visualization types are clearer than others. We will share guiding principles for creating your own visualizations. A PDF of the slides is available.
An Introduction to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (May 30, 2022)
- This workshop offers attendees a chance to develop a deeper understanding of SoTL and learn how to overcome some of the most common challenges for initiating a SoTL project in the classroom. A PDF of the slides is available.
Getting your SoTL work published (March 7, 2022)
- In this interactive session, we discussed different approaches to writing SoTL and invited participants to reflect on their motivations for writing about teaching and learning in higher education as a pathway to identifying relevant publication outlets. We also reviewed and discussed two publications with the goal of determining valuable points and frameworks for writing. A PDF of the slides is available.
CTLT Winter Institute ePoster Session: Showcase your SoTL Work (December, 2020)
- This lightning round of UBC SoTL e-posters provided an opportunity to engage with an online community of colleagues about their SoTL project experiences. Copies of the presentations can be viewed by accessing this link.
Project Evaluation Workshop: Work Integrated Learning Ministry of Advanced Education Projects (July and September, 2020)
- This workshop was designed for projects supported by the Ministry of Advanced Education funding, however is relevant for those looking to evaluate work-integrated learning programs or endeavors. This workshop offered a useful evaluation framework, and provided an overview of commonly used data collection methods (e.g., surveys, focus groups and interviews).
Evaluating the Impact of Experiential Learning (May, 2019)
- This workshop offered guidance on developing a focused and manageable evaluation plan for EL projects/courses.
The Scholarship of Feedback (April, 2019)
- In this session, participants were guided on how to identify opportunities to evaluate feedback-giving practices and provided common strategies to evaluate student perceptions, engagement with feedback, and impact on learning.
This annual event hosted by ISoTL and the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) invites SoTL practitioners, new faculty and students across UBC the opportunity to engage in dialogue around teaching and learning and to advance SoTL work. Typically Celebrate SoTL involves a keynote speaker, at least one interactive workshop and a poster session.
1st annual Celebrate SoTL (November 6, 2018)
2nd annual Celebrate SoTL (October 23, 2019)
3rd annual Celebrate SoTL (October 22-23, 2020)
4th annual Celebrate SoTL (October 21-22, 2021)
5th annual Celebrate SoTL (October 20-21, 2022)