The SoTL Research Fund is an opportunity to receive support, resources, and mentorship for SoTL projects.
Every year up to six SoTL projects are selected. These projects incorporate research on teaching and learning in higher education with a potential for significant contributions to the UBC community and beyond. The expected life cycle of a project is one to two years.
Awarded projects receive a support package that includes the following:
- Up to 80 hours of a SoTL Research Assistant (SRA). SRAs are students with experience in a variety of SoTL-related topics such as BREB, surveys, focus groups, experiments, observations, text analysis, and analytics. Based on our experience in previous years, 80 hours is enough to complete data collection and analysis for your project.
- Cohort-based meetings in which informal feedback is offered by peers and recipients of the program in the previous year.
- CTLT consultation during the entire life cycle, from design to publication.
- Up to $1,000 in discretionary funds to support project requirements such as participant costs and TA time.
- Priority in receiving the SoTL Travel Fund.
The following criteria is used to evaluate the proposals:
- Novelty. Does the project have the potential to advance our knowledge of teaching and learning in higher education?
- Practicality. Can the goals be accomplished with the designated timeframe? Is the process well thought-of?
- Quality of research. Is the evaluation plan informative and well-aligned with the project goals? Are the suggested methods likely to detect the effect that the project team looks for?
- Impact and contribution. Is the work likely to contribute to teaching and learning at UBC beyond the scope of the project? How many students at UBC will benefit from the project?
The SoTL Research Fund is now closed. Please check back by Spring 2016 for the next round of applications. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be notified when the next round opens.