The UBC Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISoTL) offers a program to support faculty members who engage in Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL).
The SoTL Seed program provides support, resources, and collegial collaborations for SoTL projects.
Every year 8-10 SoTL projects are selected. These projects incorporate inquiry of teaching and learning in higher education with a potential for significant contributions to the UBC community and beyond. The expected life cycle of a project is one to two years. Project are strategically selected to reflect the breadth of work at UBC in terms of disciplines, scholarly approaches, and seniority.
All members of the UBC community are invited to apply. Priority is given to faculty members who teach, across all streams, at the undergraduate level. Recipients are expected to participate in events to share the outputs of their work with the wider UBC community. In addition, several projects and scholarly contributions will be featured on the ISoTL Showcased Projects page. The grants are managed by the Centre for Teaching, Learning and Technology (CTLT) and successful applicants will receive ongoing support from CTLT.
Applications are reviewed by CTLT’s Senior Manager, Research and Evaluation Ido Roll; Learning Evaluation and Research Manager Adriana Briseño-Garzón; Associate Director, Strategic Curriculum Services Andrea Han; and Academic Director Simon Bates.
Awarded projects receive a support package that includes the following:
- Up to 80 hours of a SoTL Specialist. SoTL Specialists are students with experience in a variety of SoTL-related topics such as ethics applications, surveys, focus groups, experiments, observation, text analysis and analytics.
- Cohort-based meetings in which informal feedback is offered by cohort peers and participants in the program from previous years.
- CTLT consultation during the entire life cycle, from design to publication.
- Up to $500 CAD in discretionary funds to support project requirements such as participant costs and TA time.
- Up to $500 CAD to support presentation in SoTL meetings and conferences.